Taiwan Railway (TRA)
Three ways exist to take a bicycle aboard a train:
Fold and pack the bicycle into a carrying bag, which is then considered carry-on luggage. This approach can be used on all trains.
Bicycles can be brought onto a train assembled, with similar rules to passengers. This approach is further divided as follows:
* Express Trains: Cars in these trains have dedicated parking frames for bicycles.
* Non-Express Trains: Passengers are required to properly manage their bicycles and must not obstruct other passengers
For trains that offer attached luggage compartments, bicycles should be treated as large luggage and stored in the luggage area, separate from passengers.
For more information, please click the website of Taiwan Railway Administration
Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR)
Any bicycle brought aboard High Speed Rail must first be placed within a carrying bag or case.
● Requirements exist for items brought aboard in a soft carrying bag or hard carrying case. The front and rear wheels must be disassembled and put into the carrying bag. Cases with wheels should have a braking function, handle or drawstring attached to the case. The contents and dimensions must be marked on the exterior. Those who meet the criteria for carry-on items can carry them onto the train for free. It must be placed in the "Large Baggage Storage Space." Those who meet the standards for carry-on items can carry the item aboard free of charge.
● The total length, width and height of the carry-on bag/box is limited to 240 centimeters, the height of the item placed in the car must not exceed 120 centimeters, the length is limited to 100 centimeters, the width must not exceed 35 centimeters, and the weight must not exceed 40 kilograms.
● To purchase additional tickets, passengers must go to the station counter in advance to purchase tickets and inform the ticketing staff in order to facilitate seating arrangements.
● Restrictions on articles to be carried on board: length must not exceed 150 cm, the sum of length, width and height must not exceed 220 cm, and the total weight must not exceed 40 kg.
●Fare: Combined fare for people and bicycles, unlimited mileage for a single trip, each ticket is limited to 1 person with 1 bicycle.
●Size limit: 180cm long, 120cm high, 70cm wide.
●Bicycle type: non-motorized bicycle, i.e., bicycle and electric assisted vehicle (power must be off).
●Bicycle parking: On the both sides of the column between the doors with the bicycle parked between the passenger and column, and perpendicular to the direction of train travel.
●The rules for entering and exiting trains vary per each MRT station.
1. Taipei Metro - Bicycle parking compartment is limited to the first and last tram car doors for entry and exit and parking, each door area is limited to two cars, and shall not occupy the barrier-free space, a total of 16 bicycles can be parked per train.
2. Taoyuan MRT - Bicycles are only allowed to be carried on ordinary cars, and access and parking is limited to the first car 1-1 door and the last car 4-3 door area of ordinary cars.
3. Kaohsiung MRT - General bicycle parking is limited to the first, second, third and fourth door areas of the first tram car, each door area is limited to one bicycle, each train can park four bicycles, and these cannot occupy barrier-free space.
4. Taichung MRT - no general bicycles for the time being.
●Fees: After being properly packed, they can be brought into all stations for free during operating hours, just like ordinary luggage.
●Size restriction: The longest side shall not exceed 165cm, and the sum of length, width and height shall not exceed 220cm.
●Passengers carrying bicycles should "keep their bicycles close to their bodies" and must support their bicycles at all times in the car, not sitting on the seat and leaving the bicycle parked alone.